Liposuction (Fat Removal)
This website is intended to provide you with general information only. This information is not a substitute for advice from your Specialist Plastic Surgeon and does not contain all the known facts about this procedure.
Liposuction, also known as lipectomy or lipoplasty, is a procedure that improves the body’s contours and proportion by removing excess fat deposits to slim and reshape specific areas of the body. Common areas targeted include thighs, buttocks, abdomen, arms, neck and under the chin.
Liposuction is cosmetic surgery that aims to improve the body’s contours and proportion by removing localised and disproportional deposits of fat. Liposuction can remove up to 5 litres of fat with relative safety during one session. Depending on the number of areas that require treatment, repeated treatments may be necessary.
Specific techniques of liposuction include:
- Suction Assisted Lipectomy (SAL) where fat is removed from the body using a vacuum suction. SAL may be dry, wet or tumescent depending on the volume of saline (salt solution) which is injected into the operation site before the procedure begins
- Ultrasonic Assisted Lipoplastry (UAL) uses ultrasonic energy to liquefy the fat cells before SAL is used to remove the liquefied fat and to smooth the edges of the treated areas
- Mechanical Assisted Lipoplasty (MAL) uses an oscillating shaver driven by a motor to shave the fat which is vacuumed away as used in the SAL and UAL methods
- Many people who consider liposuction also consider a tummy tuck, a mommy makeover and nonsurgical skin tightening.
Am I a good candidate for fat removal?
- You have a minimal amount of excess skin and good skin elasticity. Loss of skin elasticity with age can compromise liposuction results, but if your skin maintains elasticity, age alone is not a contraindication for liposuction surgery.
- Your weight is relatively stable and you are not significantly overweight.
- If you are planning to lose a significant amount of weight or even gain weight (for example, due to pregnancy), this is not the time to undergo liposuction.
- Keep in mind that liposuction does not remove cellulite and cannot tighten loose skin. Your surgeon will be able to recommend other procedures to improve those conditions.
- You are a nonsmoker.
- in Hospital
Overnight stay at the clinic is required 1 nights, which is already included in the price of your cosmetic surgery package.
- in Budapest
Required minimum stay in Budapest 5 days after the surgery, recommended is 7–9 days after the surgery.
The liposuctioned area may appear larger than before surgery because of swelling. You must wear a tight stocking, girdle, or snug elastic dressing over the treated area to reduce swelling and bleeding, and to help shrink the skin to fit the new contour. You will wear a compression garment over the treated areas for 4 to 6 weeks to control swelling and promote skin contraction.
You should wait a minimum of six weeks before exposure to sun and heat, including sunbathing, because of the possibility of swelling. A return to completely normal activity will be 4 to 6 weeks, but swelling to some extent may be present up to 6 to 9 months.
Liposuction / fat removal