Nose surgery (Rhinoplasty)
This website is intended to provide you with general information only. This information is not a substitute for advice from your Specialist Plastic Surgeon and does not contain all the known facts about this procedure.
Nose reshaping surgery (rhinoplasty,nose reshaping, nose job) takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete and is performed under general anaesthetic. After numbing the area, your surgeon will make incisions to access the bones and cartilage that support the nose. There are two general techniques for making the incisions: open and endonasal.
By adding or removing bone and cartilage and adjusting the supporting structures inside the nose, the size of your nose can be reduced or increased and the nose may be shortened or lengthened.
- Tip grafts made of cartilage can be used to remodel the tip of your nose, making it more uplifted, longer, shorter, or thinner.
- Your skin and other soft tissues will remodel to assume the shape of the underlying structure.
- In some patients, tissue fillers or fat grafts can be added to increase volume in desired areas.
In addition to incision options, there are various methods for augmenting your nose or smoothing surface deformities.
There are two main incision approaches:
- the open approach and
- the internal (endonasal) approach.
For an open rhinoplasty, the incisions are made outside the nose with a small access incision on the underside of the nose between the nostrils that then connects with other incisions hidden inside the nose.
Advocates for the open rhinoplasty approach say that it fully opens the nose, providing better visualization of the nasal structures and a more direct route for surgical manipulation; the small scar at the base of the nose is barely visible once it heals.
For an endonasal rhinoplasty, the incisions are made inside the nasal passages. Because these incisions are hidden, they are invisible after surgery.
Advocates for the endonasal approach say that it permits more limited dissection of nasal tissues, offers excellent visualization of nasal structures, and eliminates the visible scar at the base of the nose.
Am I a good candidate for nose surgery?
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider rhinoplasty:
- Your nose is too large or too small
- Your nose does not seem to fit with the rest of your face
- Your nose is crooked, badly shaped, or out of alignment
- You have nasal blockage inside your nose and have trouble breathing
- You have a birth defect that you would like improved
- You would like improvement, not perfection, in the appearance of your nose
If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
In advance of your procedure, your surgeon will ask you to:
- Stop smoking at least 4 weeks before undergoing surgery to promote better healing
- Avoid taking aspirin, certain anti-inflammatory drugs, and some herbal medications that can cause increased bleeding
- Regardless of the type of surgery to be performed, hydration is very important before and after surgery for safe recovery.
Overnight stay at the clinic is required 1 nights, which is already included in the price of your cosmetic surgery package.
Required minimum stay in Budapest 7 days after surgery, recommended stay 10–14 days. Most patients will be able to return to normal life at around 12–14 days, when the plaster splint is removed.
At the end of the Rhinoplasty or Nose Tip Reshaping operation a plaster splint is put on the nose, which remains there for 10–14 days. Most of the swelling and bruising should disappear within two weeks or so. A little bleeding is common during the first few days following surgery, and you may continue to feel some stuffiness for several weeks.